LFD Book Forum  

Go Back   LFD Book Forum > Course Discussions > Online LFD course > Homework 8

Old 05-22-2013, 05:28 AM

Default Q1 Quadratic Programming

From that well known source, wikipedia:

Quadratic programming (QP) is a special type of mathematical optimization problem. It is the problem of optimizing (minimizing or maximizing) a quadratic function of several variables subject to linear constraints on these variables.

The hard-margin SVM problem is to minimize 0.5w'w subject to (yn(w'xn + b) >= 1.

So is this a quadratic programming problem?
Old 05-22-2013, 05:48 AM
Invited Guest

Default Re: Q1 Quadratic Programming

A quadratic function of a set of variables is a linear combination of constants and products of one or two of the variables (including squares of them).

A linear constraint is an inequality which only contains a linear combination of constants and individual variables.

How do these relate to your description of the hard margin SVM problem? (The variables are the components of w)
Old 05-22-2013, 08:34 AM

Well, the problem was to minimize wrt w and b the value w'w (which is a combination of 2 values of our variable) subject to yn(w'xn + b) >= 1 where yn and xn are constants (our training data) i.e. a linear combination of our variable w.

So, the original problem for hard-margin SVM seems like a "quadratic programming" problem - so my real question is this: why do we do the "dual" mapping to get the problem stated in terms of alpha? Is this purely to get it into a more convenient form for QP packages? I am missing something, but I don't know what :-).
Old 05-22-2013, 10:01 AM
Invited Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by alasdairj View Post
Well, the problem was to minimize wrt w and b the value w'w (which is a combination of 2 values of our variable) subject to yn(w'xn + b) >= 1 where yn and xn are constants (our training data) i.e. a linear combination of our variable w.

So, the original problem for hard-margin SVM seems like a "quadratic programming" problem - so my real question is this: why do we do the "dual" mapping to get the problem stated in terms of alpha? Is this purely to get it into a more convenient form for QP packages? I am missing something, but I don't know what :-).
If I understand correctly, the motivation is that it is often computationally efficient to do so.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:48 PM
Caltech

Quote:
Originally Posted by alasdairj View Post
the original problem for hard-margin SVM seems like a "quadratic programming" problem - so my real question is this: why do we do the "dual" mapping to get the problem stated in terms of alpha? Is this purely to get it into a more convenient form for QP packages? I am missing something, but I don't know what :-).
The number of variables in the original problem depends on the dimensionality of the weight space, whereas the number of variables in the dual problem does not. This makes a difference if that dimensionality is high, which is often the case in nonlinear transforms.
Old 05-22-2013, 06:29 PM

Thank you Professor! I understand now!