LFD Book Forum  

Go Back   LFD Book Forum > Course Discussions > Online LFD course > Homework 2

Old 10-15-2012, 08:11 PM
Invited Guest

Default Regression then PLA

In the Homework 1 section there is discussion showing that PLA is
independent of alpha, as only the ratio to w0 counts.

It seems, though, when using regression before PLA, as
initial weights for the PLA, that alpha is important again.

Too big, and the initial weights don't do much, too small
and it converges slow.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:39 PM
Caltech

Default Re: Regression then PLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by gah44 View Post
In the Homework 1 section there is discussion showing that PLA is
independent of alpha, as only the ratio to w0 counts.

It seems, though, when using regression before PLA, as
initial weights for the PLA, that alpha is important again.

Too big, and the initial weights don't do much, too small
and it converges slow.
Good point.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:08 AM

I'm coming up against this as well. Maybe I have a bug, but I'm finding that even though the regression finds an almost perfect line with, usually, very few points misclassified, I give the weights from the regression to PLA as initial weights and the PLA line bounces all over the place before settling down.

Scaling the regression weights up by a factor of 10 or 100 would speed up the PLA a lot, I think, by preventing the PLA update from moving the weights so much. That would have a similar effect to using a small alpha. But we're not supposed to do either thing, right?
Old 01-17-2013, 10:27 AM
Caltech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne Paulson View Post
I'm coming up against this as well. Maybe I have a bug, but I'm finding that even though the regression finds an almost perfect line with, usually, very few points misclassified, I give the weights from the regression to PLA as initial weights and the PLA line bounces all over the place before settling down.

Scaling the regression weights up by a factor of 10 or 100 would speed up the PLA a lot, I think, by preventing the PLA update from moving the weights so much. That would have a similar effect to using a small alpha. But we're not supposed to do either thing, right?
You are right, there is no scaling in Problem 7. Here, and in all homework problems, you are encouraged to explore outside the statement of the problem, like you have done here, but the choice of answer should follow the problem statement.
Old 01-20-2013, 02:47 AM
Invited Guest

Seems to me that what it does is either give 0 iterations (if none are misclassified) or about as many as it did without the regression solution.

So what we are really counting is how often it gives 0 iterations, but yes, we have to follow the problem statement.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:17 PM

Huh - I haven't done this problem yet, but this is really interesting. I had thought the answer to this question would be, like, 1, but now I see that the first step is likely to ruin the advantage that the linear regression gave you. The PLA isn't initially very subtle; the weights eventually get big and you have to wait till the size of the adjustments becomes small relative to the weights for the fine tuning.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Reach View Post
Huh - I haven't done this problem yet, but this is really interesting. I had thought the answer to this question would be, like, 1, but now I see that the first step is likely to ruin the advantage that the linear regression gave you. The PLA isn't initially very subtle; the weights eventually get big and you have to wait till the size of the adjustments becomes small relative to the weights for the fine tuning.

For 10 data points, it might very well converge quickly! My simulation converges at the speed of light!
1000 data points is another story.