LFD Book Forum  

Go Back   LFD Book Forum > Course Discussions > Online LFD course > Homework 2

Old 04-15-2012, 11:37 PM

Default HW 2.8: Seeking clarification on simulated noise

First we generate a training set of 1000 points. We also generate a vector y using the target function given.

Now we are directed to randomly flip the sign of 10% of the training set.

The training set has 4000 numbers at this point. We should randomly choose 400 of these numbers and flip the sign? Including the y values? Also include the values for the 1000 x0 which we initialized to 1.0?
Old 04-16-2012, 12:42 AM

Default Re: HW 2.8: Seeking clarification on simulated noise

I'm pretty sure we only flip the sign on the ys. That's what I did and got reasonable results. That corresponds to noise in your sample of the target function.

-James
Old 04-16-2012, 01:03 AM
Caltech

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarrett View Post
I'm pretty sure we only flip the sign on the ys. That's what I did and got reasonable results. That corresponds to noise in your sample of the target function.

-James
You are correct.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:18 AM

Thank you both for that clarification. I believe I am inching closer to understanding noise.

I have some follow up questions: How is E_in defined? Do you compare the linear regression results (i.e. sign(w'x) where w is obtained by linear regression using the "noisy" y) to the true value of y or to the the noisy value from the training data?

In the real world, since the target function is unknown, the best one can do is E_in_estimated by comparing sign(w'x) to the "noisy" y. But in this instance we actually do have the target function. So if we are asked to compute E_in should we use the original y?

Edit: I tried both and the closest answer didn't change, but I'd still like to understand the correct definition of E_in.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:55 PM
NTU

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakumar View Post
Thank you both for that clarification. I believe I am inching closer to understanding noise.

I have some follow up questions: How is E_in defined? Do you compare the linear regression results (i.e. sign(w'x) where w is obtained by linear regression using the "noisy" y) to the true value of y or to the the noisy value from the training data?

In the real world, since the target function is unknown, the best one can do is E_in_estimated by comparing sign(w'x) to the "noisy" y. But in this instance we actually do have the target function. So if we are asked to compute E_in should we use the original y?

Edit: I tried both and the closest answer didn't change, but I'd still like to understand the correct definition of E_in.
You should compare to the noisy y that you have on hand. Hope this helps.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:07 PM
Invited Guest

What about with Eout? Do we also compare with noisy y or with y without noise?
Old 04-16-2012, 08:41 PM

Here's how I think about E_{in} and E_{out}.

The in-sample performance E_{in} is how well you have converged on a solution to your given data. X in our notation. The given data is a *sample* of the real world domain on which f is defined. Therefore the in-sample performance of h is how well it works on the data set (how much is h(x) \approx y).

The out-of-sample performance E_{out}, is how well h works on the rest of the world (not in our tiny sample). We have seen in several of the problems that we can estimate it by generating a whole new data set (often with many more sample points) and compare the performance of our h with the performance of the made up f.

Of course in a real situation we won't have f, only the knowledge(belief!?) that it exists. That's why we need the Hoeffding inequality, so we can at least bound E_{out}.
Old 07-18-2012, 03:33 PM

ttt

Think this thread will help others as it did me. The "flip" comment confused me as well.