LFD Book Forum  

Go Back   LFD Book Forum > Course Discussions > Online LFD course > Homework 2

Old 04-15-2012, 02:00 PM

Default HW2.10 out-sample error on original(2D) or transformed (5D) X space?

Regarding homework 2 ,10th question, is it about out-sample error on the transformed (5D) X space? I incline to think so because the previous question talks about transformation. But want to be sure
Thanks
Vlad
Old 04-15-2012, 03:52 PM
Caltech

Default Re: HW2.10 out-sample error on original(2D) or transformed (5D) X space?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmorozov View Post
Regarding homework 2 ,10th question, is it about out-sample error on the transformed (5D) X space? I incline to think so because the previous question talks about transformation. But want to be sure
Thanks
Vlad
Indeed, it is.
Old 04-15-2012, 05:26 PM

Default Re: HW2.10 out-sample error on original(2D) or transformed (5D) X space?

I may be asking a very silly question but I am stuck here - what are the out of sample points? And given a sample of 1000 points how do we get out of sample points? Is it picking random samples out of these 1000 points? If yes, then how many do we pick?
Old 04-15-2012, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rukacity View Post
I may be asking a very silly question but I am stuck here - what are the out of sample points? And given a sample of 1000 points how do we get out of sample points? Is it picking random samples out of these 1000 points? If yes, then how many do we pick?
Here, the 'sample' refers to the training set, the original set of random points (x1,x2) which are used to solve for the the weights.

The 'out-of-sample' points are a new set of random points (x1,x2). This set is used to test how well your weights worked on random points outside the training set, i.e points that were not used to derive them.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcatanz View Post
Here, the 'sample' refers to the training set, the original set of random points (x1,x2) which are used to solve for the the weights.

The 'out-of-sample' points are a new set of random points (x1,x2). This set is used to test how well your weights worked on random points outside the training set, i.e points that were not used to derive them.
Thank you so much! It clarified a very basic doubt and helped me finish the homework as well
Old 04-17-2012, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rukacity View Post
Thank you so much! It clarified a very basic doubt and helped me finish the homework as well
You're welcome!