LFD Book Forum  

Go Back   LFD Book Forum > Course Discussions > Online LFD course > Homework 3

Old 01-23-2013, 04:18 AM

Question Q4 and Q5

Regarding Q4, which asks us to determine the break point of a 3D Perceptron, just a clarification: I am thinking that the 2D case will also be a pathological case in 3D, as it is just a special case for the 3D plane, but if there exists any setting of 4 points in 3D that can be shattered by the 3D Perceptron then break point is greater than four, since we take the maximum? (like the 2D case with collinear points for N = 3)

Regarding Q5, as I understand it, any monotonically increasing function <= 2^N for all N, can be a possible growth function, is that correct or are there more restrictions?
Also we have a N choose 2 term in one of the options that is not defined for N = 1, but that can be logically regarded as zero, right?
Old 01-23-2013, 10:27 AM
Caltech

Default Re: Q4 and Q5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tathagata View Post
Regarding Q4, which asks us to determine the break point of a 3D Perceptron, just a clarification: I am thinking that the 2D case will also be a pathological case in 3D, as it is just a special case for the 3D plane, but if there exists any setting of 4 points in 3D that can be shattered by the 3D Perceptron then break point is greater than four, since we take the maximum? (like the 2D case with collinear points for N = 3)
You are right.

Quote:
Regarding Q5, as I understand it, any monotonically increasing function <= 2^N for all N, can be a possible growth function, is that correct or are there more restrictions?
There are more restrictions that were discovered in Lecture 6.

Quote:
Also we have a N choose 2 term in one of the options that is not defined for N = 1, but that can be logically regarded as zero, right?
Correct. For k>N, we have {N \choose k}=0.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaser View Post
There are more restrictions that were discovered in Lecture 6.
But doesn't lecture 6 discuss a more strict bound only if we have a break point? Whereas Q5 asks for any possible growth function, so being less than 2^N is sufficient I would have thought. What am i missing?
Old 01-24-2013, 11:30 AM

Quote:
You are right.
I don't follow. In 2D, all four points must be coplanar so no line can shatter the points. In 3D the two x's and two o's can be separated along the third axis and this can easily be shattered by a plane. You need k > 4 as a breakpoint. Am I missing something? Perhaps I did not understand the OP's question.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:11 PM
Caltech

Quote:
Originally Posted by tathagata View Post
But doesn't lecture 6 discuss a more strict bound only if we have a break point? Whereas Q5 asks for any possible growth function, so being less than 2^N is sufficient I would have thought. What am i missing?
We either have a break point, or else we don't. In the latter case, the growth function is identically 2^N. In the former case, the growth function is constrained such that many formulas cannot possibly be valid growth functions.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:13 PM
Caltech

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekoftheweek View Post
I don't follow. In 2D, all four points must be coplanar so no line can shatter the points. In 3D the two x's and two o's can be separated along the third axis and this can easily be shattered by a plane. You need k > 4 as a breakpoint. Am I missing something? Perhaps I did not understand the OP's question.
You are not missing anything. You have just articulated why a break point in 2D may not be a break point in 3D.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:29 PM

The terminology can be a bit confusing, because a break point exists if there is no pathological case that can be shattered. If you can shatter, you don't break.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:59 PM
Caltech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne Paulson View Post
If you can shatter, you don't break.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:38 PM

Quote:
We either have a break point, or else we don't. In the latter case, the growth function is identically 2^N. In the former case, the growth function is constrained such that many formulas cannot possibly be valid growth functions.
Ah.. I got it thanks!
Old 04-17-2013, 06:25 PM
Invited Guest

One tip I would give for studying is this: if you are shattered, take a break.

Tags
break points, growth functions