LFD Book Forum  

Go Back   LFD Book Forum > Book Feedback - Learning From Data > General comments on the book

Old 04-11-2012, 08:19 AM

Default Online Edition Available for purchase?

Hello,
I noticed that there is no kindle edition of the book available on amazon. Is there any other way of accessing the book online? I am currently studying in Europe and shipping could take up to 32 business days; the course would be just about over by then.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:33 AM
Caltech

Default Re: Online Edition Available for purchase?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loch_Lomond View Post
Hello,
I noticed that there is no kindle edition of the book available on amazon. Is there any other way of accessing the book online? I am currently studying in Europe and shipping could take up to 32 business days; the course would be just about over by then.
We are working on an electronic version, but it may take some time.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:51 AM

I am also interested in kindle version of this book
Old 06-22-2012, 05:48 AM

I live in Cambodia. Amazon does not service Cambodia. In the light of Professor's comment that an online copy of the book may not be available for some time, could the Professor kindly recommend some other online books, or sits that may contain relevant articles (which would in all likelihood exclude research articles)

Thank you in advance for your assistance. It is remarkable to see an academic of your standing participating in this forum, Professor.

Porky
Old 06-22-2012, 12:17 PM
Caltech

Quote:
Originally Posted by porky View Post
I live in Cambodia. Amazon does not service Cambodia. In the light of Professor's comment that an online copy of the book may not be available for some time, could the Professor kindly recommend some other online books, or sits that may contain relevant articles (which would in all likelihood exclude research articles)

Thank you in advance for your assistance. It is remarkable to see an academic of your standing participating in this forum, Professor.

Porky
Thank you. We are working on having a distributor in Asia and that may be a viable option for you. As for other resources, you can look for many topics on wikipedia, and although the treatment and the notation may be different, it will help some. The notation of the book (and the course) is publicly available on the AMLbook web site.

I am sorry that you and others have had difficulty getting the book. Our reason for not going with a regular publisher with large distribution network is that publishers wanted to set a price for the book at $70+ and we did not accept that.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:46 PM

Unfortunately, ALMbooks.com doesn't seem to sell the book other than through amazon.com, so you may still have the same problem.

Larry Morton
Old 09-18-2012, 07:15 PM
Invited Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaser View Post
(snip)

I am sorry that you and others have had difficulty getting the book. Our reason for not going with a regular publisher with large distribution network is that publishers wanted to set a price for the book at $70+ and we did not accept that.
Thanks for doing that. More expensive, and I might not have bought one.

Recently my daughter in college bought a $230 (used) chemistry book!
It is a new edition, so not many used copies are out there.

I think we all appreciate authors who try to keep prices affordable.

Thanks!
Old 01-31-2013, 01:01 AM

Smile Re: Online Edition Available for purchase?

Any update on the availability of Ebook version?
Old 02-01-2013, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaser View Post
publishers wanted to set a price for the book at $70+ and we did not accept that.
Let me add a vote for having an e-book version of the book, including if possible one readable on the phone. I read/review in short bursts & a pocketable version helps a lot.

Very strange that publishers are demanding much more for the e-Book than for the hardcover version! Kindle editions are generally cheaper than paper ones...

Thanks for your efforts towards making this happen.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:04 PM
Caltech

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilya239 View Post
Very strange that publishers are demanding much more for the e-Book than for the hardcover version! Kindle editions are generally cheaper than paper ones.
Just to clarify, the $70+ price point was given to us by publishers for the printed copy, and I mentioned it to explain why we didn't go with mainstream publishers/distributors (that would have made the electronic version a simple addition) and chose to self-publish instead.