LFD Book Forum  

Go Back   LFD Book Forum > Course Discussions > Online LFD course > Homework 7

Old 08-19-2012, 11:51 AM

Default SVM to return probabilistic output

Instead of using the SVM for pure classification, is it possible to return probabilities in the form

\frac{1}{1 + e^{-w^{'}x - b}}

or by any other transform?
Old 08-19-2012, 03:45 PM
NTU

Default Re: SVM to return probabilistic output

Yes, the usual one used for SVMs is proposed by Platt:

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc...10.1.1.41.1639

which is of the form

\frac{1}{1 + \exp(- (A (\mathbf{w}^T \mathbf{x} + b) + B))}

and estimates A and B by a logistic-regression like optimization problem. An improved implementation for calculating A and B can be found in

Hsuan-Tien Lin, Chih-Jen Lin, and Ruby C. Weng. A Note on Platt's Probabilistic Outputs for Support Vector Machines. Machine Learning, 68(3), 267-276, 2007.

http://www.csie.ntu.edu.tw/~htlin/pa.../plattprob.pdf

Hope this helps.
Old 08-20-2012, 02:49 PM

Thanks!
Old 08-22-2012, 10:11 AM

Yes. Thank you. Very interesting. I read both papers (well, skimmed some parts) and basically followed but I do have a general question.

I can understand A as a saturation factor or gain, but at first glance B is a little confusing. If B is non-zero, then the probability at the decision boundary will not be 1/2.

Is the reason for needing non-zero B that the mapping from Y->T no longer just maps +1 to 1, and -1 to 0, but rather to two values in (0,1) based on the relative number of +1s to -1s?
Old 08-22-2012, 09:21 PM

And just out of curiosity - as an extension to the original question:

Can SVMs be used for regression? If so, do they perform better than the regression methods we have learned about in the course?

Thanks.

-Samir
Old 08-23-2012, 03:25 AM
NTU

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickjtierney View Post
Yes. Thank you. Very interesting. I read both papers (well, skimmed some parts) and basically followed but I do have a general question.

I can understand A as a saturation factor or gain, but at first glance B is a little confusing. If B is non-zero, then the probability at the decision boundary will not be 1/2.

Is the reason for needing non-zero B that the mapping from Y->T no longer just maps +1 to 1, and -1 to 0, but rather to two values in (0,1) based on the relative number of +1s to -1s?
You are very right. My personal interpretation is that B provides an opportunity to calibrate the boundary of SVM for probability estimates. Recall that SVM roots from large-margin and hence the hyperplane is "right in the middle of the two classes." While arguably, for probability estimates, a good hyperplane (of P = \frac{1}{2}) shall be somewhat away from the majority class. So there may be a need to "shift" the hyperplane by B.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-23-2012, 03:28 AM
NTU

Quote:
Originally Posted by samirbajaj View Post
And just out of curiosity - as an extension to the original question:

Can SVMs be used for regression? If so, do they perform better than the regression methods we have learned about in the course?

Thanks.

-Samir
Yes, there are several extensions of SVM for regression. One of which was proposed by the original SVM author, commonly named \epsilon-support vector regression. \epsilon-SVR can be found in common SVM packages such as LIBSVM and shares many interesting properties with the classification one. The other is extended from linear regression, commonly named least-square SVM.

Hope this helps.