LFD Book Forum  

Go Back   LFD Book Forum > Course Discussions > Online LFD course > Homework 4

Old 08-04-2012, 12:43 PM

Default Conflicting Lessons?

Dear Professor:

(I have asked stupid questions before, but I have no shame, so in that spirit, here's another one )

Can you please help me reconcile the following two lessons:

1) Lecture 8 - slide 16 - "Lesson Learned" - Match model complexity to data resources

2) Lecture 9 - slide 8 - "Lesson Learned" - Looking at data before choosing your model can be hazardous

Thank you in advance.

-Samir
Old 08-06-2012, 10:31 PM

Default Re: Conflicting Lessons?

Actually, it seems that the two do not quite conflict.

The first lesson: match model complexity to data resources, means that you vary the complexity of your model based on how much data you have [perhaps employing a heuristic such as N = 10*dvc or dvc = N/10]

The second says that you should not look at the data itself, not merely the amount of data, but the fine structure, distribution, features, etc.

(I'd be glad to get feedback from course staff as to how well my attempted explanation gets at the meaning of the two sayings.)
Old 08-06-2012, 11:43 PM
Caltech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayson Lancaster View Post
Actually, it seems that the two do not quite conflict.

The first lesson: match model complexity to data resources, means that you vary the complexity of your model based on how much data you have [perhaps employing a heuristic such as N = 10*dvc or dvc = N/10]

The second says that you should not look at the data itself, not merely the amount of data, but the fine structure, distribution, features, etc.

(I'd be glad to get feedback from course staff as to how well my attempted explanation gets at the meaning of the two sayings.)
The feedback from the course staff is positive.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:02 PM
Invited Guest

I presume in this case "look" means a computer looked at the data.

Probably worse if a person looks at the data. People are very good at finding patterns, even if there isn't one, and, even worse, remembering patterns from previous (unrelated) data sets and applying them.