LFD Book Forum  

Go Back   LFD Book Forum > Course Discussions > Online LFD course > General comments on the course

Old 03-17-2013, 06:36 PM

Default Thank you for an amazing class

Thanks to Prof Yaser Abu-Mostafa, the Caltech staff, and Prof Magdon-Ismail and all my fellow students on the forums for a truly amazing class.

Prof Yaser:
In my opinion, the most valuable element of a class is not what it covers, but what it leaves out. Anyone can try to read a textbook cover-to-cover but what a good class provides in addition is a concise distillation of which concepts are the most important, providing a map of the terrain so that after this quick walk through, we can revisit the subject and we will not be lost, we will see old friends and familiar concepts that act as signposts to help us explore further in various places that we have not been before. In this sense you have succeeded most beautifully - building concept upon concept, creating an integrated narrative out of a field that can often look so fragmented to the beginner, and never letting us fall through the cracks or wander into ground that we are not prepared for. For this and for your incredible generosity in ensuring that the class is freely available to all who are willing to take this journey with you, and for always being personally available to answer questions and guide us along, thank you, thank you!

Caltech staff:
Thank you for creating the beautifully edited videos and crafting the homeworks and creating the whole online system. Your hard work allows this valuable knowledge to be shared among thousands of grateful learners.

My fellow students:
Thank you for posting your questions and answers on the forum. I have learned so much in reading and responding to the conversations here. Here's to our continued adventures in this exciting field!
Old 03-17-2013, 10:18 PM
Caltech

Default Re: Thank you for an amazing class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haowen View Post
In my opinion, the most valuable element of a class is not what it covers, but what it leaves out. Anyone can try to read a textbook cover-to-cover but what a good class provides in addition is a concise distillation of which concepts are the most important, providing a map of the terrain so that after this quick walk through, we can revisit the subject and we will not be lost, we will see old friends and familiar concepts that act as signposts to help us explore further in various places that we have not been before. In this sense you have succeeded most beautifully - building concept upon concept, creating an integrated narrative out of a field that can often look so fragmented to the beginner, and never letting us fall through the cracks or wander into ground that we are not prepared for.
I appreciate your kind words, especially since what you are describing is specifically what I set out to do, so I am particularly pleased to hear feedback to that effect.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:36 PM

I also thank Professor Yaser Abu-Mostafa and all the staff involved in preparation and maintenance of the course.

After following a few other similar courses on Coursera I was a bit sceptical at the beginning about the value this course will give me. I am glad I joined and did not drop out. This course is very different than any of the courses I took before. It takes different approach on explaining the concept of Machine Learning.

I also enjoyed completing the home assignments. It was fun!
Old 03-21-2013, 01:31 PM

Thank you, Professor!

I think it is a great introduction course to ML. Do you plan creating additional, more advanced courses on ML-related subjects?
Old 03-21-2013, 01:45 PM
Caltech

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilya19 View Post
Do you plan creating additional, more advanced courses on ML-related subjects?
The time it takes to produce a course with the quality that makes it worthwhile is excessive, so I have to see an opportunity where I can afford that time while still attending to my day job (research).
Old 03-22-2013, 11:05 AM

I'd like to join this forum to say many, many thanks to Prof Yaser and to all the staff.
Following the lessons together with a reinforcing reading of the textbook transformed my initial deep darkness of Machine Learning in a funny light.
Actually, it could be difficult at the age of 57 to start a such journey - and complete it!
I think the secret is just to mix passion and a very good professor.
Wonderful!
Looking forward for the next course…
Old 03-23-2013, 03:37 AM

I would like to thank professor Yaser Abu-Mostafa for this amazing class.
I think you managed to provide a teaching experience at the same time very deep in the kind of concepts you illustrated, but also very light in the way they were explained. I ha no prior experience in ML so it was very rewarding to be able to write code that actually solved most of the homework exercises.
I found the balance between concepts and math formalism very good.
I think this class gave me a lot of ideas I can now use in my day research job which is in a completely different field.

I really hope that you will find the resources to provide some more advanced course on ML.
Old 03-23-2013, 05:31 AM

Thank you Prof. Yaser for being such a nice teacher. Thanks to Prof. Magdon, Caltech staff and all friends in the forum. Thank you for your patience in replying variety of questions in the forum. This was a wonderful experience.
Teaching a difficult topic like ML with such an ease just goes on to show the hard work gone in it's preparation. When things look easy, simple and neat, be assured that lot of hard work has gone in the background to present it in a simpler way. While listening to lectures the difficult concepts start looking simpler. In my view it is very difficult to understand concepts in ML simply by reading books or articles. And finding a good teacher like Prof. Yaser around is like finding a perfect hypothesis or H={f}. . But I am fortunate to be part of this at least through online course if not in person.
As Haowen said, your teachings will act like signposts. The heavy words like RBF, SVM, regression wouldn't scare anymore when we continue to pursue our passion in ML. I hope to continue learning more things in this field.
Thank you.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:23 AM
Caltech

Folks,

You are very kind, and I appreciate it.
Old 06-09-2013, 09:23 AM

Thank you very much for this great course.
It has been a great pleasure to follow the lectures. The homeworks were sometimes challenging but they definitely met the goal: “… to facilitate a deeper understanding of the course material…”

thank you and your staff for producing and publishing this amazing course!
Marco