LFD Book Forum  

Go Back   LFD Book Forum > Course Discussions > Online LFD course > General comments on the course

Old 06-11-2012, 12:01 PM
Invited Guest

Default Re: Wow, what a ride!

Thank you Prof Abu-Mostafa and all the TA's , everyone who designed the questions, people responsible for making the videos and Caltech. This course definitely ignited my interest in Machine Learning, and I hope to further my education in this awesome field!
Old 06-13-2012, 07:56 AM
Invited Guest

I would also like to offer my sincere thanks to everyone involved: Prof. Abu-Mostafa, the TAs, Profs. Magdon-Ismail and Lin, and to everyone on the forum. This was an awesome class, in the truest sense of the word.

For the past couple of years, I've become interested in online teaching - how effective it can be, what shape it will take, and what infrastructure will be necessary. Who would have thought that a simple, multiple-choice web form would suffice for delivering high-quality homeworks? The fact that the lectures were presented in a fairly tradiotional, twice weekly format also seemed surprising, at first. But it's clear that a tremendous amount of thought and energy went into the material - the book, the lectures (and Prof. Abu-Mostafa is a supreme lecturer) and the homework - and this is what makes the class so high-quality. I sincerely hope that future instructors across the Internet will recognize this.

I believe there is a follow-on class at Caltech - and I also sincerely hope that Prof. Abu-Mostafa considers teaching this online, as well!
Old 06-13-2012, 08:06 AM
Invited Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by mic00 View Post
I would also like to offer my sincere thanks to everyone involved: Prof. Abu-Mostafa, the TAs, Profs. Magdon-Ismail and Lin, and to everyone on the forum. This was an awesome class, in the truest sense of the word.

For the past couple of years, I've become interested in online teaching - how effective it can be, what shape it will take, and what infrastructure will be necessary. Who would have thought that a simple, multiple-choice web form would suffice for delivering high-quality homeworks? The fact that the lectures were presented in a fairly tradiotional, twice weekly format also seemed surprising, at first. But it's clear that a tremendous amount of thought and energy went into the material - the book, the lectures (and Prof. Abu-Mostafa is a supreme lecturer) and the homework - and this is what makes the class so high-quality. I sincerely hope that future instructors across the Internet will recognize this.

I believe there is a follow-on class at Caltech - and I also sincerely hope that Prof. Abu-Mostafa considers teaching this online, as well!
I second everything you said there.
Old 06-19-2012, 03:42 PM

A little belatedly I want to join the large group of people thanking Caltech for making this class publically available and Yaser for his fantastic job in teaching it.

I'm in industry, hoping to apply what I have learned on a couple of upcoming projects this year. I found the course content extremely worthwhile.

I find Machine Learning difficult, because it is counter-intuitive to me. Even after the class, I find it hard to rid myself of the notion of applying all possible cleverness to somehow explain the available data and then to extrapolate that explanation, i.e., as we learned, the notion to minimize the in-sample error without regard to the out-of-sample error. And the Netflix example, to predict people's preferences for movies without any input of domain expertise on movies or psychology, that's still black magic, even after understanding how it's done.

While it's easy to pick up a couple of algorithms from the many text-books and online materials out there, it is the solid foundation, both mathematical and practical, as well as this better intuition that I would have missed studying alone without this class. Also, the cadence of the lectures and the homeworks helped to enforce some learning discipline.

Regarding the details of the course content and their overlap with my planned projects, I would have liked some more discussion of other practical problems. One is methods to handle classification problems where one result occurs much more frequently than the other. Another is methods for data sets that are not well described by tabular x and y's, but more naturally through a graph structure.

On the other hand, I cannot really think of any topic I would have liked to have been dropped from the course. And I imagine that the unhurried pace of the lectures was one of the magic ingredients that made the course so successful.

In summary, not many suggestions how to improve a class of such high caliber. Thanks again.
Old 06-22-2012, 05:51 AM

I thoroughly enjoyed the class!

I was wondering if we can receive any kind of certificate or transcript for the course? I know Udacity provides a certificate on the completion of a course.

Thanks!
Old 06-22-2012, 10:06 AM
Invited Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by cambridge11 View Post
I was wondering if we can receive any kind of certificate or transcript for the course? I know Udacity provides a certificate on the completion of a course.
As you probably know already, Udacity is a business, that offers courses on its own, independently of any affiliation with universities. So it can do whatever it wants. Free online courses like Learning From Data, with an existing university involved, raise many complex issues when it comes to issuing certificates. This was a big controversy at Stanford last year, when some profs there started up free online courses. Those profs went on to found Udacity, and a competing business Coursera, each with different philosophies on the certificate question. The MITx initiative is yet another approach.

I agree it would be great if the LFD staff could issue us a certificate, or something, or even an email, acknowledging our completion. A bit of thought reveals why it's not easy. What would such a document mean, exactly? What does it allow the student to legitimately claim? What kind of misunderstandings and misrepresentations might occur? What's to prevent just anyone from faking the document? Would it dilute the stature of genuine credits and degrees from Caltech? Will Caltech be inundated with requests from Human Resources departments requesting verification of the document? And so on.

Caltech and Professor Abu-Mostafa are pioneering something new with LFD. Maybe all those issues above will get worked out, eventually. I'm happy just to have had the experience.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:28 PM

I totally agree with Alfansome ... learning in these days are so advanced compared with that in our old days ... awesome ...
Old 09-16-2012, 02:40 PM

I enjoyed this class so much that I did the last three lectures and homework on my vacation to Asia this summer. Now this class will always be in the same memory as my trip. Thank you Prof. Abu-Mostafa for a fantastic learing opportunity!