LFD Book Forum  

Go Back   LFD Book Forum > Course Discussions > Online LFD course > General comments on the course

Old 02-08-2016, 07:17 AM

Thumbs up Acknowledgements :)

Dear Professor Abu-Mostafa,

Two years ago I completed your excellent course on edX and soon started competing on Kaggle. It is a difficult but interesting affair, and the knowledge you shared with us always guides me. Last December I was awarded special Physics Prize Award in Kaggle competition Flavours of Physics: Finding τ → μμμ organised by CERN, Yandex, Intel and others. The competition was dealing with experiments on Large Hadron Collider. I was invited to Machine Learning workshop held at University of Zurich in February. It's important to notice that the competition in its original settings presented a subtle theoretical challenge, and my approach was directly inspired by Learning Theory you taught us. That is why a whole section of Presentation for the workshop (link, in 'docs' folder) is devoted to Learning Theory and contains references to your and Professors H.-T. Lin and M. Magdon-Ismail book. I dedicated the Presentation in gratitude to you and added your photo with Claude Shannon in Acknowledgements

Thank you again, have a nice sabbatical! I wish you to resume on-line offerings of your excellent course, and I always recommend it to my friends!

Sincerely, Alexander
Old 02-09-2016, 10:41 AM
Caltech

Default Re: Acknowledgements :)

Dear Alexander:

Thank you for your kind words. This success story makes all the effort that went into the course and the book very much worthwhile. Congratulations on your wonderful achievement, and my best wishes for continued success.

--Yaser