LFD Book Forum  

Go Back   LFD Book Forum > Book Feedback - Learning From Data > Chapter 1 - The Learning Problem

Old 09-29-2015, 01:14 AM

Default Problem 1.9

I'm working through this problem and stuck on (b).

Since P[u_n \geq \alpha] \leq e^{-s\alpha}U(s), we get
\prod_{n=1}^N P[u_n \geq \alpha] \leq (e^{-s\alpha}U(s))^N

We also know\prod_{n=1}^N P[u_n \geq \alpha] \leq P[\sum_{n=1}^N u_n \geq N\alpha] = P[u \geq \alpha]

Both terms in the desired inequality is bigger than the common term, so I don't know how these two inequalities can lead to the desired conclusion, what did I miss?

Also, in (c), why do we want to minimize with respect to s and use that in (d)?
Old 03-21-2016, 07:29 AM

Default Re: Problem 1.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kongweihan View Post
I'm working through this problem and stuck on (b).

Since P[u_n \geq \alpha] \leq e^{-s\alpha}U(s), we get
\prod_{n=1}^N P[u_n \geq \alpha] \leq (e^{-s\alpha}U(s))^N

We also know\prod_{n=1}^N P[u_n \geq \alpha] \leq P[\sum_{n=1}^N u_n \geq N\alpha] = P[u \geq \alpha]

Both terms in the desired inequality is bigger than the common term, so I don't know how these two inequalities can lead to the desired conclusion, what did I miss?

How do you know that \prod_{n=1}^N P[u_n \geq \alpha] \leq (e^{-s\alpha}U(s))^N? I think that is a problem in your proof that you assumed that the joint probability works with Problem 1.9(b) inequality.

To proof (b) I went this way:

1. I used Markov Inequality \mathbb{P}[u\geq\alpha]\leq\frac{\mathbb{E}_{u}[u]}{\alpha}

2. Problem 1.9(a) gave me this: \mathbb{P}[t\geq\alpha]=\mathbb{P}[e^{sNt}\geq e^{sN\alpha}]\leq\frac{\mathbb{E}[e^{sNt}]}{e^{sN\alpha}}, hence \mathbb{P}[u\geq\alpha]\leq\frac{\mathbb{E}_{u}[e^{sNu}]}{e^{sN\alpha}}

Using this the rest of the proof is quite nice to carry out.
Old 05-12-2016, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaciekLeks View Post
How do you know that \prod_{n=1}^N P[u_n \geq \alpha] \leq (e^{-s\alpha}U(s))^N? I think that is a problem in your proof that you assumed that the joint probability works with Problem 1.9(b) inequality.

To proof (b) I went this way:

1. I used Markov Inequality \mathbb{P}[u\geq\alpha]\leq\frac{\mathbb{E}_{u}[u]}{\alpha}

2. Problem 1.9(a) gave me this: \mathbb{P}[t\geq\alpha]=\mathbb{P}[e^{sNt}\geq e^{sN\alpha}]\leq\frac{\mathbb{E}[e^{sNt}]}{e^{sN\alpha}}, hence \mathbb{P}[u\geq\alpha]\leq\frac{\mathbb{E}_{u}[e^{sNu}]}{e^{sN\alpha}}

Using this the rest of the proof is quite nice to carry out.
I don't think the condition right
Old 09-17-2016, 10:43 AM

Here's my take on Problem 1.9, part(b), which is following the same lines as the description of MaciekLeks above.

We have:

\begin{split}
P(u \geq \alpha ) & = P(\frac{1}{N}{}\sum_n x_n \geq \alpha)  \\
 & = P(\sum_n x_n \geq N \alpha) \\
 & = P(e^{s \sum_n x_n} \geq e^{s N \alpha})
\end{split}

Since e^{s t} is monotonically increasing in t.

Also, e^{s t} is non negative for all t, implying Markov inequality holds:

\begin{split}
P(e^{s \sum_n x_n} \geq e^{s N \alpha}) & \leq \frac{E(e^{s \sum_n x_n})}{e^{s N \alpha}} \\
& = \frac{E(\prod_n e^{s x_n})}{e^{s N \alpha}} \\
& = \frac{\prod_n E(e^{s x_n})}{e^{s N \alpha}}
\end{split}

The last line being true since [math]x_n[\math] are independent.

From there it directly follows that

P(u \geq \alpha ) \leq U(s)^N e^{-s N \alpha}
Old 03-03-2017, 07:53 AM

Question Re: Problem 1.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kongweihan View Post
I also have trouble understanding (c).

Actually I don't even know how to tackle it. I think I'll need a lot of hand-holding through this one because my math got really rusty since I left school (I'm 34).
Old 03-03-2017, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_sze View Post
I also have trouble understanding (c).

Actually I don't even know how to tackle it. I think I'll need a lot of hand-holding through this one because my math got really rusty since I left school (I'm 34).
Will I need to summon notions such as "moment generating function" for part (c) of this problem?
Old 03-06-2017, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Actually I don't even know how to tackle it. I think I'll need a lot of hand-holding through this one because my math got really rusty since I left school
So I'm not the only one. Gee, thanks
Old 03-15-2017, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Will I need to summon notions such as "moment generating function" for part (c) of this problem?
So I did end up using moment generating function. And I think the answer to (c) is s = \ln{\frac{\alpha}{1-\alpha}}, using calculus.

But now I'm stuck at (d).

Directly substituting \alpha = \mathbb{E}(u) + \epsilon is probably wrong? Because e^{s}U(s) can be simplified to the point where no logarithm appears (unless I made a really big mistake).
Old 03-16-2017, 09:36 AM

Quote:
So I did end up using moment generating function. And I think the answer to (c) is s = \ln{\frac{\alpha}{1-\alpha}}, using calculus.

But now I'm stuck at (d).

Directly substituting \alpha = \mathbb{E}(u) + \epsilon is probably wrong? Because e^{s}U(s) can be simplified to the point where no logarithm appears (unless I made a really big mistake).
*sigh*

I did end up getting \beta by substituting \mathbb{E}(u) + \epsilon for \alpha, but only after simplifying e^{-s\alpha}U(s) all the way down, until there is no more e or \ln, otherwise I get two powers of 2 with no obvious way to combine them.

So now the remaining hurdle is to prove that \beta > 0.

Yay
Old 04-01-2017, 07:19 AM

Quote:
*sigh*

I did end up getting \beta by substituting \mathbb{E}(u) + \epsilon for \alpha, but only after simplifying e^{-s\alpha}U(s) all the way down, until there is no more e or \ln, otherwise I get two powers of 2 with no obvious way to combine them.

So now the remaining hurdle is to prove that \beta > 0.

Yay
I finally worked out the proof for \beta > 0. Apparently using Jensen's inequality is supposed to be the simple way, but I simply don't get Jensen's inequality, so I used some brute force calculus (first and second derivatives, find the minimum, etc.)