LFD Book Forum  

Go Back   LFD Book Forum > Book Feedback - Learning From Data > Chapter 4 - Overfitting

Old 10-23-2013, 12:15 PM

Default Exercise 4.7

I feel like I'm overthinking Exercise 4.7 (b) and I am hoping for a little bit of insight.

My gut instinct says that Var[E_{\text{val}}(g^-)] = \frac{1}{K} (P[g^-(x),y])^2

I arrived at this idea by considering that the probability is similar to the standard deviation which is the square root of the variance so since:
Var[E_{\text{val}}(g^-)] = \frac{1}{K}Var_{x}[e(g^-(x),y)] and P[{g^-(x)}\neq{y}] = P[e(g^-(x),y)] does Var_{x}[e(g^-(x),y)] = P[{g^-(x)}\neq{y}]^2 ???

Then for part (c) on the exercise, assuming that the above is true, I used the notion that P[{g^-(x)}\neq{y}] \le 0.5 because if the probability of error were greater than 0.5 then the learned g would just flip its classification. Therefore this shows that for any g^- in a classification problem,
Var[E_{\text{val}}(g^-)] \le \frac{1}{K}0.5^2 and therefore:
Var[E_{\text{val}}(g^-)] \le \frac{1}{4K}

Any indication as to whether I'm working along the correct lines would be appreciated!
Old 10-25-2013, 08:16 AM
RPI

Default Re: Exercise 4.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweater Monkey View Post
I feel like I'm overthinking Exercise 4.7 (b) and I am hoping for a little bit of insight.

My gut instinct says that Var[E_{\text{val}}(g^-)] = \frac{1}{K} (P[g^-(x),y])^2
Var[E_{\text{val}}(g^-)] can be obtained from part (a) by computing \sigma^2(g^-), which is the variance (over x) of the error that the hypothesis makes. For the specific error measure, the error is bounded between [0,1], so you can bound this variance.
Old 04-06-2016, 03:51 AM

Hello, I'm currently stuck at (d). I have derived to this point:

Var_{x}[(g^{-}(x) - y)^{2}] = E[((g^{-}(x) - y)^{2} - E[(g^{-}(x) - y)^{2}])^{2}]
E[((g^{-}(x) - y)^{2} - E[(g^{-}(x) - y)^{2}])^{2}] = E[(g^{-}(x) - y)^{4}] - (E[(g^{-}(x) - y)^{2}])^{2}

and I'm currently stuck. The hint says that the squared error is unbounded hence I guess that there should be no bound for expected value of squared error? (I'm not good at math though...)
Old 07-19-2016, 09:58 AM

I'm not sure if I can re-interpret the Figure 4.8 like this: If you train your data with one horrible hypothesis you will get a very bad generalization bound despite the number of data points is large?