LFD Book Forum  

Go Back   LFD Book Forum > Book Feedback - Learning From Data > Chapter 1 - The Learning Problem

Old 09-17-2013, 06:03 PM

Default Problem 1.12a

I'm somewhat lost in my attempt to show 1.12 a I can see intuitively that the mean will be the best h value since then Ein is the standard deviation, but I'm not sure where to go from there. I've already finished B and C, A is the only part I'm having trouble with.

Perhaps I'm going in the wrong direction but one of the things I realized is that the constraint could be restated as minimizing h^2 -2 h yn summed over all N but that could be going off in completely the wrong direction.

Adding some value a to the mean produces (mean-yn)^2 + a^2 +2 a(mean-yn) That's another possible approach but I'm not really sure where I would take that approach either.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:09 PM

Default Re: Problem 1.12a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandes View Post
Perhaps I'm going in the wrong direction but one of the things I realized is that the constraint could be restated as minimizing h^2 -2 h yn summed over all N but that could be going off in completely the wrong direction.
This is what I did and it led to the correct answer of hmean

To start off work on factoring out h, then it should become more obvious how to manipulate the function to find its minimum value. Good luck!
Old 09-18-2013, 07:35 PM

I tried to take the derivative of the function to find the minimum, but I'm still not sure how the minimum corresponds to h being the in-sample mean.
Also, what exactly is hmean? It seems to be a scalar value, a number of some sort, but I thought that h is a hypothesis/function?
Old 09-19-2013, 03:55 AM
RPI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandes View Post
I
This is the right idea. Your hypothesis h is just a number in this case. Ein is a function of this number (variable) h. One way to minimize a function of a variable h is to take the derivative and set it to zero.