LFD Book Forum  

Go Back   LFD Book Forum > Course Discussions > Online LFD course > Homework 5

Old 05-06-2013, 06:35 PM

Default HW5 Q9: SGD and Epochs?

I think I may be missing something concerning SGD. The description of the problems for Logistic Regression states that: An epoch is a full pass through the N data points.

Does that mean that each of the given answers corresponds to 100x the number iterations (e.g. answer [a] is 350, so we make 3,500 iterations before converging?)

The way I am currently implementing SGD is as follows (pseudo-code):
Code:
for each trial {
  generate N points, with corresponding target function and Y
  set weight vector to |0|
  while true {
    pick random point xn, and corresponding yn
    calculate e = -yn*xn/(1 + exp(yn*wt*xn)
    w(t+1) = w(t) - learning_rate*e
    break if ||w(t+1) - w(t)|| < tolerance
  }
  use weight vector to calculate Eout = E[ln(1 + exp(-Y*w*X)], for M new points, and find the mean Eout
}
In this case, I am taking the mean of the number of iterations in the inner while loop as the answer for Q9. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks
Old 05-06-2013, 07:04 PM
Caltech

Default Re: HW5 Q9: SGD and Epochs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziad Hatahet View Post
The description of the problems for Logistic Regression states that: An epoch is a full pass through the N data points.

Does that mean that each of the given answers corresponds to 100x the number iterations (e.g. answer [a] is 350, so we make 3,500 iterations before converging?)
Correct. You should average the number of epochs rather than the number of single-point SGD iterations. The termination criterion necessitates that you finish whole epochs.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:28 PM

Default Re: HW5 Q9: SGD and Epochs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaser View Post
Correct. You should average the number of epochs rather than the number of single-point SGD iterations. The termination criterion necessitates that you finish whole epochs.
But if we will be making an entire pass over all data points in each iteration before checking the termination condition, how is this cheaper than batch GD?

Edit: I just saw the discussion here: http://book.caltech.edu/bookforum/showthread.php?t=458.

Thanks Prof. Yaser