LFD Book Forum  

Go Back   LFD Book Forum > Course Discussions > Online LFD course > General comments on the course

Old 05-31-2012, 02:54 PM

Default Wow, what a ride!

Just wanted to thank everyone involved, especially Prof. Abu-Mostafa for a first-rate course. Having not been a student for many,many years its amazing to see the advancements in problem-solving technology that are more or less taken for granted for today's students. If I'd had to do (most of) these problems using the standard-issue slide rulers that I had as an undergraduate, it certainly would have taken much more time Even though you need to get the theoretical stuff down, its so much easier to understand some of the concepts when you can do the computational modeling thats available on your home computer or laptop (or even iPad) with very little effort (after the initial learning curve for the math packages).
Old 05-31-2012, 07:37 PM
Invited Guest

Default Re: Lecture 18 - questions

I am very grateful for the opportunity to have taken this class, and wish to thank our prof Yaser Abu-Mostafa and the TAs and anyone else involved in making this course available. This has been a wonderful learning experience. And to be able to take this sitting in the comfort of my own living room.. How cool is that?!

Last fall semester I took Andrew Ng's ML class (up until this class I would have said that it was the best course I ever took; now it's a toss-up!). This class has very nicely complemented what prof Ng covered there. It was nice to see more of the mathematics behind the algorithms. Also I've enjoyed the HW (once I got over feeling I needed to get 100% on everything), and found those problems to be an excellent learning experience. The insights Yaser has shared have been both profound and will prove profoundly useful in applying ML to real-world data. I look forward to pursuing further studies in ML. What fun!

I'm sure that many are curious about the future status of this class... Will this course be offered again in the future? Are there plans to offer any other Caltech classes online like this?
Old 06-01-2012, 06:07 AM

I concur. This opportunity was amazing, and I thank Professor Abu-Mostafa very much for making this course available online. The homework took a substantial amount of time, but was well worth it. I am sad that we did not build a Bayesian classifier, but there is nothing stopping me from doing so on my own. I also want to thank all the people who have been posting on this forum. It is a wonderful way to connect with other people and talk about the coarse material. I wish we had been able to do that when we were students. Of course, we got together in person with friends, but I feel this helps create a much larger group of friends, and their collective experiences do help a larger fraction of people spend less time going down incorrect paths. Also, it has been fun!
Old 06-01-2012, 10:41 AM
Invited Guest

I would like to thank the profs, staff and donors who have made this course a very educational adventure. This course gives me a good starting foothold in a very steep topic.

Since this is an online class, I have found the forum to be very helpful especially with the homework. I appreciate the time some posters took to answer my queries, e.g. regarding VC dim and growth function. My personal best post award goes to the guy/gal who posted the possibly right answer to hw4 qn 10.

I now look forward to a break from spending my last 8 weekends on the homeworks
Old 06-01-2012, 01:31 PM

Default Wow, what a ride!

Just finished Lecture 18 and feel compelled to express my gratitude for an excellent learning experience. The best things in life indeed seem to be free. Kudos to Prof. Yaser and Caltech.
Old 06-03-2012, 12:06 PM

Default Re: Wow, what a ride!

Just done the same, what a great conclusion to the course. The quality of the teaching and recordings was extremely high, I wouldn't have guessed that this was the first time to give the course in this format.

Thanks so much to Prof. Abu-Mostafa and everyone else who played a part, including on the forums in clarifying points with the homeworks
Old 06-03-2012, 07:48 PM

Me too !! I have not had so much fun since when I was an undergraduate at Caltech. Professor Abu-Mostafa and the course lectures and homework, rank up there with the very best.
Old 06-03-2012, 11:59 PM
Caltech

You guys are very kind. I appreciate your words and those of others who have posted here.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:47 AM

Default Thank you!

Just finished to (late) watch lecture 18.
It was a great great course, even if I wasn't new to ML I still learned a lot, and I feel I now have a far better understanding, especially from a theoretical point of view, on many ML techniques.
It's like before I knew what I was doing, but now I know why I am doing it this way.

So I'd like to thank Prof. Abu-Mostafa and all the staff for the wonderful opportunity they gave us all... and I really hope there will be an advanced Machine Learning next year!!!

Thanks!
Old 06-11-2012, 11:49 AM

I'd like to echo the sentiments posted here. When I saw the advertisement for this course I knew it was an amazing opportunity: a class at cal tech? for free? a chance to study with and learn from the best? I couldn't pass it up.

I wondered how the online format would work and had reservations about the usefulness of the online forum and the fact that the homework would be multiple choice. I was very pleasantly surprised by the usefulness of the forum, and the quality of the discussion. Many times I would read the posts and decipher their meaning for hours afterwards. My understanding of the material is much deeper for it. Likewise I was absolutely impressed by the problem sets. They were quite well designed and extraordinarily challenging.

The lectures were a pleasure to watch. Thank you to Prof Abu-Mostafa and everyone who made this possible.

Brian Emery