LFD Book Forum  

Go Back   LFD Book Forum > Course Discussions > Online LFD course > General comments on the course

Old 09-18-2012, 02:59 PM

Default Three cheers for Professor Abu-Mostafa!

Hip-hip, hooray! Hip-hip, hooray! Hip-hip, hooray!

I learned so much more during the journey of following these 18 lectures, and more importantly doing the homework with care and attention to detail, than I ever expected to when I started the course. I found myself eager to get to the next homework as soon as one was completed! The course material was difficult, but very well presented and the lectures were extremely professionally recorded which made following the lectures very easy (kudos to the AV team!)

I want to personally thank Professor Abu-Mostafa for taking the time to rig this whole thing together - from writing the book with his colleagues, to putting together the lectures, to making them available to all of us 'outsiders'. As the son of a teacher I can say without hyperbole that you, professor, are a credit to the profession of teaching. I've had the good fortune to have had some excellent teachers, professors, mentors, etc. over the years, and you are among my favorite. I find myself a bit sad that I am at the end of the journey of the course, but I am excited to learn more now that I have a strong foundation (and I still have to work through the final, as I was away from computers for a couple of weeks - as a computer engineer, those breaks are tremendously important to my sanity, and my relationship with my wife )

In closing, let me say that I have taken quite a few online classes in the past year since the explosion of high-quality education presented online, but no course was more interesting or more professionally and intelligently presented than this course in Machine Learning (nor were any more difficult, and as such nor were they as fun!!)

Thanks again, Professor. I look forward to checking back in the forums to see what the next crop of students will be struggling through or discovering
Old 09-18-2012, 05:21 PM
Caltech

Default Re: Three cheers for Professor Abu-Mostafa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadworthington View Post
Hip-hip, hooray! Hip-hip, hooray! Hip-hip, hooray!

I learned so much more during the journey of following these 18 lectures, and more importantly doing the homework with care and attention to detail, than I ever expected to when I started the course. I found myself eager to get to the next homework as soon as one was completed! The course material was difficult, but very well presented and the lectures were extremely professionally recorded which made following the lectures very easy (kudos to the AV team!)

I want to personally thank Professor Abu-Mostafa for taking the time to rig this whole thing together - from writing the book with his colleagues, to putting together the lectures, to making them available to all of us 'outsiders'. As the son of a teacher I can say without hyperbole that you, professor, are a credit to the profession of teaching. I've had the good fortune to have had some excellent teachers, professors, mentors, etc. over the years, and you are among my favorite. I find myself a bit sad that I am at the end of the journey of the course, but I am excited to learn more now that I have a strong foundation (and I still have to work through the final, as I was away from computers for a couple of weeks - as a computer engineer, those breaks are tremendously important to my sanity, and my relationship with my wife )

In closing, let me say that I have taken quite a few online classes in the past year since the explosion of high-quality education presented online, but no course was more interesting or more professionally and intelligently presented than this course in Machine Learning (nor were any more difficult, and as such nor were they as fun!!)

Thanks again, Professor. I look forward to checking back in the forums to see what the next crop of students will be struggling through or discovering
You are very kind. I appreciate it.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:49 PM

I wish to express my sincere appreciation for the efforts of all involved in the creation and delivery of this course. Congratulations on providing a high quality and entertaining educational experience. The experience has whetted my appetite to further explore machine learning and I have already registered for additional related courses through Coursera. Perhaps a heightened interest in the subject matter is the highest praise one can give a course.

Prof. Abu-Mostafa, your relaxed lecture style and sense of humor made each week's lessons a pleasure. Your timely responses to postings on the forum greatly enhanced the learning experience and at least partially compensated for the absence of direct interaction.

Again, thank you.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:41 PM

Yaser, thank you very much for the opportunity to 'take the course'. One of my coworkers had recently graduated from Cal-Tech and he said you were one of his favorite professors, and after taking the course I agree wholeheartedly!
Old 09-29-2012, 10:11 PM

Professor Abu-Mustafa,

Three cheers, indeed.

Many thanks for the knowledge, and thanks also to all those whom you acknowledged in your closing lecture who helped to make this course possible.

I hope that the experience gained will lead to further expansion of this high level online education which is exploding across the net.

Best wishes and thanks again.

Tags
general