LFD Book Forum  

Go Back   LFD Book Forum > Course Discussions > Online LFD course > General comments on the course

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-12-2012, 01:41 AM

Default Re: Masterfully done

I will add my own words to those already told here : thank you Professor and thanks to all the people who made this possible (the TAs, staff, ...).

The lectures were excellent and delivered with exceptional clarity by the lecturer — I especially enjoyed the well designed slides, the right balance between concepts, their underlying mathematics and illustrative examples. The final Q&As and the exchanges on the discussion forums with the Professor, the TAs and my fellow students helped clear out any interrogations that I had and provided me with more insight on interrogations I did not have .

I don't know if you plan to make other re-runs of this course, but I would definitely advise it to anyone interested in the subject.

Perhaps my only grieves would be, that it took me quite a lot of time to learn new packages towards the end of the course (quadratic programming and libsvm, whose documentations were poor — hopefully the posts on the discussion forums helped me tremendously in dealing with these libraries), and that the interface summarizing the answers on the answer page is not very clear : I usually have to write down my answers on a sheet of paper and the correct answers from the answer key to figure on which I was wrong and on which I was right.

But these are only minor grievances, so, once again, thanks for providing us with this high quality free online course on machine learning.

(I still have to complete the final though ! But after that I will personally try to follow coursera's upcoming probabilistic graphical models course, as well as the course on neural networks and a few others, if my free time allows it )