LFD Book Forum  

Go Back   LFD Book Forum > Course Discussions > Online LFD course > Homework 3

Old 04-21-2013, 08:11 AM

Default Re: Concentric circles in Q10

But I finally don't have a clear idea of the center of our hypothesis here: is always x_1=0 and x_2=0 or not?
Old 04-21-2013, 08:56 AM
Invited Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsidroHidalgo View Post
But I finally don't have a clear idea of the center of our hypothesis here: is always x_1=0 and x_2=0 or not?
Well, x_1 and x_1 are the variables, but the centre is at (0,0) as indicated in yaser's post #2.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:56 AM

You can choose your points however you want. So fix any layout of points by drawing them on a piece of piece of paper. If you translate all the points by moving that piece of paper around, the new positions are another set of points which you could have chosen.

So in a sense you can consider any layout of points and then start the circles where ever you wanted. The trick is that once you pick a spot for the centers of the circles you have to keep that same center for all the dichotomies you're generating.

And that does also mean that you can assume one point is in the center if you want.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:26 AM

But he says to in #5 "so the origin is effectively arbitrary", so there's a little confusion here for me...
Old 04-21-2013, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsidroHidalgo View Post
But he says to in #5 "so the origin is effectively arbitrary", so there's a little confusion here for me...
That's what I'm trying to address in my above post.

Let me make my analogy a little more substantial. Let's say your grid and origin are fixed on your desk. The paper you draw your points on is transparent. You can slide around that transparency as you want, since your choice of points is up to you. But from the perspective of the points on the transparency, the points are fixed but the origin is sliding around. That is what he's referring to by saying the origin is effectively arbitrary.

Once you pick your points, you can put your origin anywhere you want (though the actual mechanic is that you're making new set of points that are appropriately translated with respect to the origin and using them instead)