LFD Book Forum  

Go Back   LFD Book Forum > Course Discussions > Online LFD course > Homework 8

Old 08-30-2012, 08:57 AM

Default Re: Libsvm

I am trying to get the digits data in the form that Libsvm (the windows command line version) can use. I need to convert the two input data into the form '1:0.12121'. In other words, append the integer and :. Since I am new to Matlab (which I have used throughout the course), can anyone explain how to transform the data. While I can make it into a string, I'm not sure this will be correctly read by Libsvm.

Thanks.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:55 AM

In the link about Octave (hope it is == to Matlab in this respect)

http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/...td1632472.html

there is:

------------

>I would like to read an ascii data file with 3 columns of integers
>separated by a space, and an unknown number of rows into 3 vectors or a
>matrix with 3 columns.

Try

data = load ("-ascii", "yourfile.txt")

Ben

-------------

HTH
Old 08-30-2012, 10:58 AM

Thanks. I will try it later today.
Old 08-30-2012, 03:05 PM

Pleasy, some one who understand how this libsvm works tell us how to go through week 8 problems.

I tryed to install libsvm in Octave, thats what I have:
Quote:
>> cd C:\Octave\libsvm-3.12\matlab

>> make
warning: unable to find mkoctfile in expected location: `C:\Octave\OCTAVE~2.2\bin\mkoctfile-3.6.2'
warning: mkoctfile exited with failure status
warning: unable to find mkoctfile in expected location: `C:\Octave\OCTAVE~2.2\bin\mkoctfile-3.6.2'

>> mex -setup
mkoctfile: unrecognized argument -setupwarning: unable to find mkoctfile in expected location: `C:\Octave\OCTAVE~2.2\bin\mkoctfile-3.6.2'
Then using *.exe files:
Quote:
C:\Octave\libsvm-3.12\windows>svm-train -t 1 -d 2 -g 1 -r 1 -v 10 -c 0.01 features.train
actually dont know why the kernel is polynomial:
1 -- polynomial: (gamma*u'*v + coef0)^degree
but didnt find (1+ x_n^T x_m)^Q in list

Thats what I have in last iteration:
Quote:
optimization finished, #iter = 579
nu = 0.936893
obj = -11.580000, rho = -1.000000
nSV = 1158, nBSV = 1158
Total nSV = 6386
Cross Validation Accuracy = 16.3764%
And features.model file didnt appears.

Actually I am prefer using my code from week7, but with upper bound C and some others. But this 7291 X 7291 matrix...
Old 08-30-2012, 04:52 PM

I don't get any reasonable output:/

I made training sets where in ex. 0vsall i changed every zero with +1 and every other label number with -1 then i fed it libsvm using "svm-train.exe -t 1 -d 2 -g 1 -r 1 -v 10 -c 0.01 0vsall.train 0vsall.model"

after that i fed the model and the training set to svm.predict.exe but it just says everything is -1 (so not a 0) which essentialy means every 0 is mis clasified but that can't be the point of the exercise right? Can someone tell me where I'm doing something wrong?
Old 08-31-2012, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakvas View Post
I don't get any reasonable output:/

I made training sets where in ex. 0vsall i changed every zero with +1 and every other label number with -1 then i fed it libsvm using "svm-train.exe -t 1 -d 2 -g 1 -r 1 -v 10 -c 0.01 0vsall.train 0vsall.model"

after that i fed the model and the training set to svm.predict.exe but it just says everything is -1 (so not a 0) which essentialy means every 0 is mis clasified but that can't be the point of the exercise right? Can someone tell me where I'm doing something wrong?
Jakvas, what you write could actually be correct, one of the problems when using SVM's is that if the classifications in your data are not equal in size, i.e, in this case we have 90% -1s and 10% of 1s (assuming there are 10 classifiers I haven't looked?). It will train to the 90% classifier (imagine a plane above all your data point - doesn't split it - still gives a good estimate for the -1s). If you transform your data to have equal classifiers then I would expect it to train much better. Try it with the -wi parameter to equal it out? I will write back when I have done some work on this. I suspect though, this is the lesson of the homework? So for answering I don't think we should be using -wi but is a useful parameter to know for when dataset classifiers are not equally distributed in your training data.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:20 AM

Interesting suggestion! I was also trying a couple of hours to find my bug when I realized this is actually the result. Will look into wi par to, quite curious if that works or if the dataset itself is just not separable.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:43 AM

well I thought so too (even during the lectures I wondered what to do not to skew the result by having unequal ammounts of +1 and -1 data) but since it's a 2nd order kernel it would benefit from even circling only one of the +1 labeled values yet it won't even do that which seems unreasonable.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:55 AM

Let me know how you get on with the wi? I won't be able to test until tomorrow so will post my findings, if any, then?

I found this whch explains in more detail:

http://www.csie.ntu.edu.tw/~cjlin/papers/libsvm.pdf

See section 6 - Unbalanced Data and Solving the Two-variable (page 26)
Old 08-31-2012, 12:08 PM

oh yeah you can balance using -wi but don't do it (if youd have to it would be stated in the homework) also there is no point in balancing since well.... any number occurs fewer times than all the others combined so in essence you'd be balancing a skew which should be there (also I think it might be some sort of data snooping(?))

anyway I found my problem hint: make sure your input has the correct form