LFD Book Forum  

Go Back   LFD Book Forum > Course Discussions > Online LFD course > General comments on the course

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-11-2012, 03:16 PM
justiliang justiliang is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: British Columbia
Posts: 3
Default Will this course be offered again in the future?

I am currently writing my exams for university and will be unable to do the homework until April 25th. I was wondering if the course will be offered again in the future and is there a certificate for completing this course?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-11-2012, 03:43 PM
yaser's Avatar
yaser yaser is offline
Caltech
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pasadena, California, USA
Posts: 1,474
Default Re: Will this course be offered again in the future?

Quote:
Originally Posted by justiliang View Post
I am currently writing my exams for university and will be unable to do the homework until April 25th. I was wondering if the course will be offered again in the future and is there a certificate for completing this course?
Thank you for your post. The recorded lectures and supporting material will be available perpetually after the course is over, so they can be used to learn the subject at any time. Given the resources needed to offer the course live, I believe it will not be offered live again.

We made a conscious decision not to do certification. We consider the goal of taking the online course not to be "credit." Rather, it is to learn the material on one's own for those who would otherwise not have access to the course lectures and material.
__________________
Where everyone thinks alike, no one thinks very much
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-11-2012, 03:48 PM
justiliang justiliang is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: British Columbia
Posts: 3
Default Re: Will this course be offered again in the future?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaser View Post
Thank you for your post. The recorded lectures and supporting material will be available perpetually after the course is over, so they can be used to learn the subject at any time. Given the resources needed to offer the course live, I believe it will not be offered live again.

We made a conscious decision not to do certification. We consider the goal of taking the online course not to be "credit." Rather, it is to learn the material on one's own for those who would otherwise not have access to the course lectures and material.
Oh I see cool! I will definitely work on the homework after exams. But I'll have to brush up on some probability. What are the main prerequisites for this course? I am currently finishing first year engineering, will that be enough?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-18-2012, 10:45 AM
miguel.penalver@mail.com miguel.penalver@mail.com is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 15
Default Re: Will this course be offered again in the future?

See this thread.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-13-2013, 12:24 PM
amsorribes amsorribes is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2
Default Re: Will this course be offered again in the future?

Hi!

I am signed up to the online course of the now winter term 2013, and similarly to the original poster, I am also finding myself in kind of a time-bind right now..

My question, thus, is again if this course will be offered as a parallel session in the future, with homework, deadlines etc?

While I really appreciate the opportunity to study the material on my own at a later time, I think having deadlines for homework really makes one put in that extra effort to master the subject, which will be appreciated after completion of the course!

Thank you for very informative and entertaining lectures!

Amanda
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-13-2013, 12:51 PM
yaser's Avatar
yaser yaser is offline
Caltech
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pasadena, California, USA
Posts: 1,474
Default Re: Will this course be offered again in the future?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsorribes View Post
Hi!

I am signed up to the online course of the now winter term 2013, and similarly to the original poster, I am also finding myself in kind of a time-bind right now..

My question, thus, is again if this course will be offered as a parallel session in the future, with homework, deadlines etc?

While I really appreciate the opportunity to study the material on my own at a later time, I think having deadlines for homework really makes one put in that extra effort to master the subject, which will be appreciated after completion of the course!

Thank you for very informative and entertaining lectures!

Amanda
Hi Amanda,

Since this is the first time the course is offered as a Caltech Parallel Session, it is too early to tell how this will work out and if it will be offered again in this format.

I agree with you that doing the course in a regular session with deadlines and classmates discussing the same material and problems at the same time has distinct advantages, so I hope that regular sessions will be offered again in the future. However, I cannot promise since it depends on a number of unknown factors, including other commitments that may preclude the time needed to do this right.
__________________
Where everyone thinks alike, no one thinks very much
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-14-2013, 07:00 AM
amsorribes amsorribes is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2
Default Re: Will this course be offered again in the future?

Thank you for you fast response!

I will try to find the time somehow then, as I would not want to pass up this opportunity.

Thank you again,
Amanda
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-12-2013, 08:09 PM
Anne Paulson Anne Paulson is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 52
Default Re: Will this course be offered again in the future?

Is there any more information about whether this course will be offered again in the future? I want to recommend it to my friends. In fact, I can say that of the nine MOOCs I've taken (good grief, that's a lot) this one is by far the best taught. It's just terrific.

I can understand if it's impossible to offer it again. If so, I'll just have realize how lucky I was to be part of it. Thank you so much.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-12-2013, 09:00 PM
yaser's Avatar
yaser yaser is offline
Caltech
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pasadena, California, USA
Posts: 1,474
Default Re: Will this course be offered again in the future?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne Paulson View Post
Is there any more information about whether this course will be offered again in the future? I want to recommend it to my friends. In fact, I can say that of the nine MOOCs I've taken (good grief, that's a lot) this one is by far the best taught. It's just terrific.

I can understand if it's impossible to offer it again. If so, I'll just have realize how lucky I was to be part of it. Thank you so much.
Thank you for your kind words. I am getting exhausted by the time demands of the course, and I don't want to offer it without attending to it properly. However, since the spring will be the first anniversary of the course, I will offer it again as a celebration.
__________________
Where everyone thinks alike, no one thinks very much
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-15-2013, 08:26 AM
coolguy coolguy is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2
Default Re: Will this course be offered again in the future?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaser View Post
Thank you for your kind words. I am getting exhausted by the time demands of the course, and I don't want to offer it without attending to it properly. However, since the spring will be the first anniversary of the course, I will offer it again as a celebration.
That is really good news! Many of my friends like your course also!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
The contents of this forum are to be used ONLY by readers of the Learning From Data book by Yaser S. Abu-Mostafa, Malik Magdon-Ismail, and Hsuan-Tien Lin, and participants in the Learning From Data MOOC by Yaser S. Abu-Mostafa. No part of these contents is to be communicated or made accessible to ANY other person or entity.