LFD Book Forum  

Go Back   LFD Book Forum > Course Discussions > Online LFD course > General comments on the course

Old 04-11-2012, 03:16 PM

Default Will this course be offered again in the future?

I am currently writing my exams for university and will be unable to do the homework until April 25th. I was wondering if the course will be offered again in the future and is there a certificate for completing this course?
Old 04-11-2012, 03:43 PM
Caltech

Default Re: Will this course be offered again in the future?

Quote:
Originally Posted by justiliang View Post
I am currently writing my exams for university and will be unable to do the homework until April 25th. I was wondering if the course will be offered again in the future and is there a certificate for completing this course?
Thank you for your post. The recorded lectures and supporting material will be available perpetually after the course is over, so they can be used to learn the subject at any time. Given the resources needed to offer the course live, I believe it will not be offered live again.

We made a conscious decision not to do certification. We consider the goal of taking the online course not to be "credit." Rather, it is to learn the material on one's own for those who would otherwise not have access to the course lectures and material.
Old 04-11-2012, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaser View Post
Thank you for your post. The recorded lectures and supporting material will be available perpetually after the course is over, so they can be used to learn the subject at any time. Given the resources needed to offer the course live, I believe it will not be offered live again.

We made a conscious decision not to do certification. We consider the goal of taking the online course not to be "credit." Rather, it is to learn the material on one's own for those who would otherwise not have access to the course lectures and material.
Oh I see cool! I will definitely work on the homework after exams. But I'll have to brush up on some probability. What are the main prerequisites for this course? I am currently finishing first year engineering, will that be enough?
Old 07-18-2012, 10:45 AM

See this thread.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:24 PM

Hi!

I am signed up to the online course of the now winter term 2013, and similarly to the original poster, I am also finding myself in kind of a time-bind right now..

My question, thus, is again if this course will be offered as a parallel session in the future, with homework, deadlines etc?

While I really appreciate the opportunity to study the material on my own at a later time, I think having deadlines for homework really makes one put in that extra effort to master the subject, which will be appreciated after completion of the course!

Thank you for very informative and entertaining lectures!

Amanda
Old 01-13-2013, 12:51 PM
Caltech

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsorribes View Post
Hi!

I am signed up to the online course of the now winter term 2013, and similarly to the original poster, I am also finding myself in kind of a time-bind right now..

My question, thus, is again if this course will be offered as a parallel session in the future, with homework, deadlines etc?

While I really appreciate the opportunity to study the material on my own at a later time, I think having deadlines for homework really makes one put in that extra effort to master the subject, which will be appreciated after completion of the course!

Thank you for very informative and entertaining lectures!

Amanda
Hi Amanda,

Since this is the first time the course is offered as a Caltech Parallel Session, it is too early to tell how this will work out and if it will be offered again in this format.

I agree with you that doing the course in a regular session with deadlines and classmates discussing the same material and problems at the same time has distinct advantages, so I hope that regular sessions will be offered again in the future. However, I cannot promise since it depends on a number of unknown factors, including other commitments that may preclude the time needed to do this right.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:00 AM

Thank you for you fast response!

I will try to find the time somehow then, as I would not want to pass up this opportunity.

Thank you again,
Amanda
Old 03-12-2013, 08:09 PM

Is there any more information about whether this course will be offered again in the future? I want to recommend it to my friends. In fact, I can say that of the nine MOOCs I've taken (good grief, that's a lot) this one is by far the best taught. It's just terrific.

I can understand if it's impossible to offer it again. If so, I'll just have realize how lucky I was to be part of it. Thank you so much.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:00 PM
Caltech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne Paulson View Post
Is there any more information about whether this course will be offered again in the future? I want to recommend it to my friends. In fact, I can say that of the nine MOOCs I've taken (good grief, that's a lot) this one is by far the best taught. It's just terrific.

I can understand if it's impossible to offer it again. If so, I'll just have realize how lucky I was to be part of it. Thank you so much.
Thank you for your kind words. I am getting exhausted by the time demands of the course, and I don't want to offer it without attending to it properly. However, since the spring will be the first anniversary of the course, I will offer it again as a celebration.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaser View Post
Thank you for your kind words. I am getting exhausted by the time demands of the course, and I don't want to offer it without attending to it properly. However, since the spring will be the first anniversary of the course, I will offer it again as a celebration.
That is really good news! Many of my friends like your course also!