LFD Book Forum  

Go Back   LFD Book Forum > Course Discussions > Online LFD course > The Final

Old 06-10-2012, 02:58 AM

Default Ques 16-18 How to find Ein?

Sorry if my question is naive, but how do I find Ein for regular RBF? I got the weight vector w (of length k+1), but what do I do with it? I know I am missing something simple, but I just can't figure this out. Thanks for any help in advance!
Old 06-10-2012, 04:09 AM
Caltech

Default Re: Ques 17-19 How to find Ein?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmathur87 View Post
Sorry if my question is naive, but how do I find Ein for regular RBF? I got the weight vector w (of length k+1), but what do I do with it? I know I am missing something simple, but I just can't figure this out. Thanks for any help in advance!
You have the weights so you have the formula for the hypothesis that RBF is implementing. All you need to do is apply it to each input in the data set and check if the value it returns disagrees with the corresponding output. The fraction of training data points on which it disagrees will be E_{\rm in}.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:02 AM

Thanks, I understand that. But do you mean to apply the weights to each input according to the formula given on slide 14 of lecture 16? I think that since that formula was used to derive the weights (using phi), the weights would always satisfy it and the Ein will always be 0. Maybe this doesbn't make too much sene, but I am a little muddled up here.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:42 AM
Invited Guest

Please see slide 19 of lecture 16 which shows h(x) for regular rbf with the bias b (not part of the summation, b is w0).
Old 06-11-2012, 08:25 AM

Thanks, I got it!
Old 06-06-2013, 06:39 PM

OK, I am a little confused. The RBF description does not mention a bias, but then it is introduced in slide 19 of lecture 16... how do we learn the bias?
Old 06-06-2013, 07:48 PM
Caltech

Quote:
Originally Posted by alasdairj View Post
OK, I am a little confused. The RBF description does not mention a bias, but then it is introduced in slide 19 of lecture 16... how do we learn the bias?
The bias can be learned along with the weights using the pseudo-inverse method. Just consider the bias a parameter like the weights which happens to be multiplied by the constant 1, the same way w_0 was handled in linear regression.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:05 AM

Thanks! I implemented this for the pseudo-inverse calculation, and also in the bias in the final calculation of h. What surprised me was that the Ein got slightly worse rather than better, which is not what I expected. Or do I have an implementation issue?
Old 06-07-2013, 12:38 PM
Caltech

Quote:
Originally Posted by alasdairj View Post
Thanks! I implemented this for the pseudo-inverse calculation, and also in the bias in the final calculation of h. What surprised me was that the Ein got slightly worse rather than better, which is not what I expected. Or do I have an implementation issue?
In-sample error should not go up with the added parameter (out-of-sample error might), so I suspect a bug of some sort.