LFD Book Forum  

Go Back   LFD Book Forum > Course Discussions > Online LFD course > General comments on the course

Old 12-09-2012, 10:01 AM

Default Thanks for a terrific class

Professor Abu-Mostafa,

Thank you for offering such an excellent online class. I was initially a bit anxious about the recorded format, but found that the lectures were very clear and that the homeworks were very effective in helping me grasp the details. I feel that I learned a lot for an introductory course.

It surely required significant time and resources to produce this class and I want to express my sincere appreciation to you and the course staff for an outstanding job.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:43 AM
Caltech

Default Re: Thanks for a terrific class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Professor Abu-Mostafa,

Thank you for offering such an excellent online class. I was initially a bit anxious about the recorded format, but found that the lectures were very clear and that the homeworks were very effective in helping me grasp the details. I feel that I learned a lot for an introductory course.

It surely required significant time and resources to produce this class and I want to express my sincere appreciation to you and the course staff for an outstanding job.
I appreciate your kind words.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Professor Abu-Mostafa,

+1

As a Caltech alum (B.S. Chemistry, '06), having taken this class made me really wish I'd registered for it while a student. These hours of lectures and homework were just marvelous and added much more value to my education than the Ph.D. work that they displaced. Thanks very much!
Old 12-11-2012, 01:58 PM

Default Other things considered...

Dear Professor Abu-Mostafa, I join so many others that have taken this course and benefit from it in thanking you and the people at Caltech for providing the rest of the world with a window into a well-designed and very interesting course.

I took this course with two objectives in mind: one was to learn more about machine learning and real-world applications for this technology, the second was to evaluate the possibility of offering it at my university (maybe a third objective was to asses the amount of effort that translating it into Spanish would require).

The material is engaging and I enjoyed the course a lot; reading the book, doing the homeworks and interacting (just a bit in my case) with the people at the Forum opens your mind to so many possibilities!

In my case the course was interrupted (but I should quickly add "happily interrupted") by the birth of my first child. Being a novice parent I really thought I could use the time off at the hospital (I smile now that I know better) to finish the final. Needless to say, I couldn't; Sebastian (my kid) had other ideas.

However I'm satisfied with the results: the questions I did work on were correct and for the others... well, your son's trust and innocent sleep make up aplenty for it.

I hope you do take your well deserved break and surprise us shortly with another course; be it advanced machine learning, information theory, complexity or whatever your preference is, I would be eager to take it.

Thanks again,

Juan Carlos Córdova Zeceña
Universidad de San Carlos de Guatemala
Guatemala
Old 12-11-2012, 06:55 PM
Caltech

Default Re: Other things considered...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jccordova View Post
Dear Professor Abu-Mostafa, I join so many others that have taken this course and benefit from it in thanking you and the people at Caltech for providing the rest of the world with a window into a well-designed and very interesting course.

I took this course with two objectives in mind: one was to learn more about machine learning and real-world applications for this technology, the second was to evaluate the possibility of offering it at my university (maybe a third objective was to asses the amount of effort that translating it into Spanish would require).

The material is engaging and I enjoyed the course a lot; reading the book, doing the homeworks and interacting (just a bit in my case) with the people at the Forum opens your mind to so many possibilities!

In my case the course was interrupted (but I should quickly add "happily interrupted") by the birth of my first child. Being a novice parent I really thought I could use the time off at the hospital (I smile now that I know better) to finish the final. Needless to say, I couldn't; Sebastian (my kid) had other ideas.

However I'm satisfied with the results: the questions I did work on were correct and for the others... well, your son's trust and innocent sleep make up aplenty for it.

I hope you do take your well deserved break and surprise us shortly with another course; be it advanced machine learning, information theory, complexity or whatever your preference is, I would be eager to take it.

Thanks again,

Juan Carlos Córdova Zeceña
Universidad de San Carlos de Guatemala
Guatemala
Thank you, and congratulations on the birth of Sebastian.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:04 PM
Caltech

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYcrash View Post
+1

As a Caltech alum (B.S. Chemistry, '06), having taken this class made me really wish I'd registered for it while a student. These hours of lectures and homework were just marvelous and added much more value to my education than the Ph.D. work that they displaced. Thanks very much!
Thank you. Glad to have you in class.

Tags
appreciation., thank you note