LFD Book Forum  

Go Back   LFD Book Forum > Course Discussions > Online LFD course > General comments on the course

Old 06-11-2012, 06:20 PM

Default Re: To the Class of Spring 12

Thank you, Professor Abu-Mostafa and the Caltech staff for a very enlightening course. I came into this course with some knowledge of Machine Learning techniques but now I believe I can appreciate it as a discipline.

I don't think any amount of self-study would have enabled me to comprehend the subtleties of contamination of data sets and it hadn't even occurred to me to ask, "Is learning possible?" To find out that there was actually a mathematical foundation for that was indeed a revelation. Other memorable "moments of clarity" included really getting what SVMs were all about and how neatly Bias + Variance mapped to Ein + Eout.

I really enjoyed the lectures and tried to attend them live as often as possble. My favorite moment was back in Lecture 2 when the Professor was building up Hoeffding's Inequality term by term and he finally put the 2s in there and said, "Now, between you and me, I prefer the original formula better -- without the 2s. However, the formula with the 2s has a distinct advantage -- of being true!"

So thanks once again.

One request: Can a web page be set up where I can enter my email address to be notified of future online courses from Caltech?
Old 06-12-2012, 04:15 PM

I would like to echo all the other comments and thank prof. Yaser for this formidable learning experience. I count this class as one of the best classes I ever had the pleasure to sit in.

I specifically liked the mixture of theory and practice. The homework sets were particularly well-thought: I always learned something from them, if it were not just to understand I misunderstood something!

Thanks again.
Luca
Old 06-13-2012, 11:41 AM
Invited Guest

Thank you, Professor Abu-Mostafa. This was a wonderful learning experience! You opened a whole new field for me, in a way that inspired me to do further study.

I am thrilled at the advance of on-line learning. Having never gone to a school of good reputation, I am very grateful at being given access to some amazing material from the best schools. But I must say, that the level of engagement between the professor and the on-line audience here was unprecedented and was a huge bonus. The life lectures, the Q&A taking our questions, your involvement on the forum - THANK YOU so much for all of that!