Thread: HW 4 question3
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2012, 02:07 AM
Invited Guest

Default Re: HW 4 question3

I have the same question/remark as silvrous and markweitzman. Since epsilon bounds the absolute difference of two probabilities/probability measures/frequencies (at least that is what I understood from the class and a quick google lookup) a statement of epsilon < 3 (for example) is equivalent to the stamement epsilon <= 1. Since all bounds gave numbers in the ball park 3, I reasoned they are all equivalent to bounds epsilon <= 1, i.e. with this small number of examples we cannot say anything about Eout, at least not with a delta of 0.05 per the question.

I have to admit that I thougth long and hard about the what was the intention of the question: just to test if we can calculate these scary looking formulas, or to test our understanding of learning (in particular understanding that you need a minimum amount of data before you can make strong (delta = 5%) statements about the out of sample). Since the calculation aspect was already tested in q2, I hoped and guessed that q3 was aiming at the other aspect.

In the end I therefore went for answer e ("they are all equivalent"), which I thought was the most correct, although there was indeed a chance the question was intended differently.

Professor, or any other expert on the subject, am I correct in my assumption about that epsilon < 3 is equivalent to epsilon <= 1?