View Single Post
Old 06-13-2012, 07:56 AM
Invited Guest

Default Re: Wow, what a ride!

I would also like to offer my sincere thanks to everyone involved: Prof. Abu-Mostafa, the TAs, Profs. Magdon-Ismail and Lin, and to everyone on the forum. This was an awesome class, in the truest sense of the word.

For the past couple of years, I've become interested in online teaching - how effective it can be, what shape it will take, and what infrastructure will be necessary. Who would have thought that a simple, multiple-choice web form would suffice for delivering high-quality homeworks? The fact that the lectures were presented in a fairly tradiotional, twice weekly format also seemed surprising, at first. But it's clear that a tremendous amount of thought and energy went into the material - the book, the lectures (and Prof. Abu-Mostafa is a supreme lecturer) and the homework - and this is what makes the class so high-quality. I sincerely hope that future instructors across the Internet will recognize this.

I believe there is a follow-on class at Caltech - and I also sincerely hope that Prof. Abu-Mostafa considers teaching this online, as well!