Thread: Languages used
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2012, 12:47 AM

Default Re: Languages used poll

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachesa View Post
IMO Python is fine for relatively quick prototyping, but not for the serious data processing. High cost of function calls and quick stack overflow if you use recursion are the main problems I have with Python. It's just much slower than C++ or Java. Try to write recursive depth-search in Python and in C++, it is very educational.

Haven't used R yet, so no opinion there...
I think people have different opinions about different languages. Python may not be suitable in all applications, but I think that in general Python can indeed be used in "serious" programming with large data sets . Of course, depending upon how you write a program you may get poor performance/hit the limits using any programming language.
My experience is that Python is a powerfull lang with a large number of libraries for scientific applications that are very fast in handling large amount of data. Examples of some "fast packges for python" are: numpy that supports efficient handling of very large matrix/arrays (including statistics functions) and scikit_learn that supports machine learn.