LFD Book Forum

LFD Book Forum (http://book.caltech.edu/bookforum/index.php)
-   Homework 1 (http://book.caltech.edu/bookforum/forumdisplay.php?f=130)
-   -   Programming in Homework 1 (http://book.caltech.edu/bookforum/showthread.php?t=3818)

alanchua 01-09-2013 07:49 AM

Programming in Homework 1
 
Hi

I am going through Hm Wk 1. I have some questions.

1. I am wandering, is programming needed or recommended for this hm wrk especially the ques on PLA ? If it is recommended, what is the recommended languages that is more suitable and open source other than Octave.

I appreciate all suggestions. Thanks in advance. :)

Regards

Alan

doclogan 01-09-2013 08:11 AM

Re: Programming in Homework 1
 
Programming is definitely needed for this assignment (and all the others). I used Python and found it adequate for all the assignments.

butterscotch 01-09-2013 08:48 AM

Re: Programming in Homework 1
 
Yeah, you want to simulate the PLA algorithm on a language of your choice. I think Matlab and Python are one of the popular choices.

alanchua 01-09-2013 08:49 AM

Re: Programming in Homework 1
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by doclogan (Post 8473)
Programming is definitely needed for this assignment (and all the others). I used Python and found it adequate for all the assignments.

Cool to hear that as I used Python in other field before. Do you have any packages to recommending for machine learning as a whole or anything specifically useful for this course. Pardon me if all this sound dumb to you as I am very new but interested in ML. Thanks again.

yaser 01-09-2013 09:16 AM

Re: Programming in Homework 1
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by alanchua (Post 8477)
Cool to hear that as I used Python in other field before. Do you have any packages to recommending for machine learning as a whole or anything specifically useful for this course. Pardon me if all this sound dumb to you as I am very new but interested in ML. Thanks again.

Packages will be needed for later homeworks (support vector machines) and will be pointed out at the time. Until then, everything can be programmed from scratch with the aid of basic matrix operations and such.

alanchua 01-09-2013 09:35 AM

Re: Programming in Homework 1
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by yaser (Post 8478)
Packages will be needed for later homeworks (support vector machines) and will be pointed out at the time. Until then, everything can be programmed from scratch with the aid of basic matrix operations and such.

Thanks Prof Yaser and everyone for the suggestion and quick reply. I appreciate
it.

melipone 01-11-2013 02:59 PM

Re: Programming in Homework 1
 
I love it that we can use any language we want in this course :D


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:28 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
The contents of this forum are to be used ONLY by readers of the Learning From Data book by Yaser S. Abu-Mostafa, Malik Magdon-Ismail, and Hsuan-Tien Lin, and participants in the Learning From Data MOOC by Yaser S. Abu-Mostafa. No part of these contents is to be communicated or made accessible to ANY other person or entity.