LFD Book Forum

LFD Book Forum (http://book.caltech.edu/bookforum/index.php)
-   Chapter 3 - The Linear Model (http://book.caltech.edu/bookforum/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   Recency weighted regression (http://book.caltech.edu/bookforum/showthread.php?t=1090)

itooam 08-26-2012 02:00 AM

Re: Recency weighted regression

Suppose I could just transform the weight matrix A into a vector do a transpose then do a cross product (not sure how to present that in algebraic form but think that is the solution)!?

itooam 08-26-2012 02:09 AM

* I meant "inner" product above NOT cross product.

itooam 08-27-2012 03:41 AM

Scrap what I wrote above about large datasets causing havoc for the weight matrix. I found Octave already knows about such problems and has support for sparse matrices... very useful :)

magdon 08-27-2012 12:08 PM

Yes, there is a closed form solution which is obtained by taking the \alpha_t into the square:

E_{in}=\sum_{t}\alpha_t(\mathbf{w}\cdot\mathbf{x}_t-y_t)^2=\sum_{t}(\mathbf{w}\cdot\mathbf{x}_t\sqrt{\alpha_t}-y_t\sqrt{\alpha_t})^2

This is exactly an unscaled linear regression problem where you have rescaled each data point (\mathbf{x}_t,y_t) by \sqrt{\alpha_t}. So, after you rescale your data in this way, you can just run your old regression algorithm without the weightings.

Quote:

Originally Posted by itooam (Post 4423)
Thank you for all your help it has been really appreciated. I have one final question, do you know if there is a closed form solution to

E_{in}=\sum_{t}\alpha_t(\mathbf{w}\cdot\mathbf{x}_t-y_t)^2

(assuming \alpha is a vector with the same number of rows as x?)

i.e., the closed form solution as used for linear regression and regularization - copied from lecture notes is this:

W_{reg} = (Z^{T} Z+\lambda I)^{-1}Z^Ty

I am not sure where \alpha would end up in the above, the derivation is beyond me mathematically?

itooam 08-28-2012 03:15 AM

Thanks Magdon, I always manage to make things so much more complicated than they need to be. That equation you posted would have saved me hours - and it is so simple - why didn't I think of it? Instead I went the long way round, not a total loss though as has been a great learning curve for me :)

I tried your approach and compared to my workings (in one of my previous posts):
W_{reg} = (Z^{T} A Z+\lambda I)^{-1}Z^TAy

and for all my tests I am getting the same W_{reg}. So this is great news as confirms my formula was correct too :D.

Many thanks, I can't say enough how much your help is appreciated.