LFD Book Forum

LFD Book Forum (http://book.caltech.edu/bookforum/index.php)
-   The Final (http://book.caltech.edu/bookforum/forumdisplay.php?f=138)
-   -   Q21 (http://book.caltech.edu/bookforum/showthread.php?t=4115)

ilya239 03-19-2013 03:03 PM

Re: Q21

Quote:

Originally Posted by ivankeller (Post 10003)
Ng's course was a bit more practical.

Actually I found this course more practical in the sense all solutions were built from scratch (in Ng's course you start with template code and fill in the key parts). It's useful to see for yourself that working classifiers can be built from scratch, and to go through some pitfalls of building them.

Thanks a lot Prof. Yaser for all you've put into this course. It's one of the best I've taken. The derivations were precise enough to help with understanding, without unnecessary details. The uniform "learning diagram" will be useful for approaching learning problems systematically. Building small learning systems yourself was good reassurance that this all actually works.

Thanks again, and all the best.

ilya

ajjcoppola 03-20-2013 10:25 AM

Professor,
Just wanted to say thank you and your staff for a fantastic course!

A very "real-life" experience in that many times I either didn't know what I was doing or the time constraints made getting the programs done difficult.

In the end, I completed all the code, made many mistakes...fixed some...still have questions on others...but tried my best and learned a lot...thanks!

alan

sptripathi 06-09-2013 11:47 AM

Thanks Prof Yaser and the team for the most wonderful course. Others have said enough, and I will only say - endless gratitude.
Looking forward to more courses from you. (wishful thinking)

yaser 06-09-2013 01:23 PM

You are very kind.

PaulN 06-09-2013 02:01 PM

Wonderful class indeed. Until the acknowledgments part, in the last lecture, I didn't realize how many people were involved. So thanks to everybody. Everything was top notch: the lectures of course, but also the production, the videography, the homework problems etc. And while other online classes can be interesting, useful or even inspiring, this is the first one I've taken which feels like the real thing, demanding, even at times exacting, but also fair. And the subject itself, Machine Learning, which I barely knew, is absolutely fascinating. It is a refreshing departure from other areas, and times, of AI which, while interesting in their own right, are (or were) very heuristic.

Learning is possible :)

yaser 06-09-2013 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulN (Post 11060)
Wonderful class indeed. Until the acknowledgments part, in the last lecture, I didn't realize how many people were involved. So thanks to everybody. Everything was top notch: the lectures of course, but also the production, the videography, the homework problems etc. And while other online classes can be interesting, useful or even inspiring, this is the first one I've taken which feels like the real thing, demanding, even at times exacting, but also fair. And the subject itself, Machine Learning, which I barely knew, is absolutely fascinating. It is a refreshing departure from other areas, and times, of AI which, while interesting in their own right, are (or were) very heuristic.

It is wonderful to hear this assessment. Thank you.

marek 06-09-2013 03:51 PM

Having just submitted the exam, I am incredibly impressed by what I experienced these past few months. I expected the challenge and rigor that comes with Caltech's reputation, but I was surprised by the quality of the presentation. It was accessible, intuitive, and painstakingly well organized. The global narrative tied together the individual lessons and helped reinforce each of the concepts. Ultimately, it felt like everything we were learning was useful and worth the effort. I thank you professor, and everyone that helped put this together, for this fantastic course.

Darcy Daugela 06-09-2013 06:03 PM

Thank-you

I just finished this class, and would like you to know just how much I appreciate this course. Due to my life circumstances I would not have been able to take this material in a classroom. When I started this class, I was not sure if what I would learn would be practical to my work.

Today I see so many opportunities to make use of Machine Learning. Your clear instruction combined with the hands on class assignments has helped both my understanding and confidence to start to make practical use of these concepts in the work place. This class has given me the opportunity to take that critical first step.

Thank-you.

yaser 06-09-2013 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marek (Post 11064)
Having just submitted the exam, I am incredibly impressed by what I experienced these past few months. I expected the challenge and rigor that comes with Caltech's reputation, but I was surprised by the quality of the presentation. It was accessible, intuitive, and painstakingly well organized. The global narrative tied together the individual lessons and helped reinforce each of the concepts. Ultimately, it felt like everything we were learning was useful and worth the effort. I thank you professor, and everyone that helped put this together, for this fantastic course.

I appreciate your kind words, and the detailed positive feedback.

yaser 06-09-2013 06:28 PM

Re: Thank-you

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darcy Daugela (Post 11066)
I just finished this class, and would like you to know just how much I appreciate this course. Due to my life circumstances I would not have been able to take this material in a classroom. When I started this class, I was not sure if what I would learn would be practical to my work.

Today I see so many opportunities to make use of Machine Learning. Your clear instruction combined with the hands on class assignments has helped both my understanding and confidence to start to make practical use of these concepts in the work place. This class has given me the opportunity to take that critical first step.

Thank-you.

I am happy that the course has had this positive impact for you. My best wishes as you take further steps to learn more of this fascinating and dynamic subject.