LFD Book Forum

LFD Book Forum (http://book.caltech.edu/bookforum/index.php)
-   Chapter 1 - The Learning Problem (http://book.caltech.edu/bookforum/forumdisplay.php?f=108)
-   -   Exercise 1.13 noisy targets (http://book.caltech.edu/bookforum/showthread.php?t=4529)

mahaitao 10-21-2014 06:11 PM

Exercise 1.13 noisy targets

Exercise 1.13(a): what is the probability of error that h makes in approximating y if we use a noisy version of f. That means we want to compute Pr(h(x)~=y), and I consider two cases:
(1) h(x)=f(x) and f(x) != y; [(1-\mu)*\(1-\lambda)]
(2) h(x)!=f(x) and f(x) = y. [\mu*\lambda]
I am not sure the solution is right. My questions are follows:
(i) Does "h makes an error with \mu in approximating a deterministic target function f" mean Pr(h(x) != f(x)) = \mu?
(ii) Does the probability of Pr(h(x)~=y)=Pr(1)+Pr(2)?

Exercise 1.13(b) : I am not clear what does "performance of h be independent of \mu" mean? Should I consider Pr(h(x)~=y)?

thanks!

yaser 10-22-2014 12:20 AM

Re: Exercise 1.13 noisy targets

Quote:

Originally Posted by mahaitao (Post 11784)
Exercise 1.13(a): what is the probability of error that h makes in approximating y if we use a noisy version of f. That means we want to compute Pr(h(x)~=y), and I consider two cases:
(i) Does "h makes an error with \mu in approximating a deterministic target function f" mean Pr(h(x) != f(x)) = \mu?

Exercise 1.13(b) : I am not clear what does "performance of h be independent of \mu" mean? Should I consider Pr(h(x)~=y)?

thanks!

Answering your questions (i) and (ii): Yes and yes.

In Exercise 1.13(b): Independent of \mu means that changing the value of \mu does not affect how well h({\bf x}) predicts y.

mahaitao 10-22-2014 05:45 PM

Thank you very much, professor.

prithagupta.nsit 08-06-2015 05:36 AM

SO final Probability of error that h makes in approximating y would be:
1+2*lamda*mu -mu -lamda.

if it should be independent of mu then lamda should be 1/2
1+2*1/2*mu -mu -lamda =1-lamda =1/2

It think this should be correct answer.

Is my understanding correct for second part of the question ?

yaser 08-06-2015 05:02 PM

Correct. :)

elyoum 05-12-2016 03:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yaser (Post 11995)
Correct. :)

can i ask you some questions please?

Vladimir 10-09-2017 06:25 PM

Dear Professor,

What about the case h(x)!=f(x) and f(x) != y? Does it count on the probability of Pr(h(x)~=y)?

Thanks.

don slowik 11-14-2017 03:52 PM

The case you mention would lead to h(x) = y.

Ulyssesyang 11-09-2018 04:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mahaitao (Post 11784)

thanks!

So why don’t you consider h(x)!=f(x) and f(x) != y? Even if there is some case here h(x) may equal to y, but we still have case here h(x)!=y.

ckong41 05-11-2021 07:00 PM

Was wondering if the following intuitive approach works for part (b). It's as far as I'm getting thus far.

The question is asking, "What accuracy setting of f (in its prediction of noisy target y) would render h's accuracy (in its prediction of target distribution f) inconsequential?"

If f got everything wrong, that is, lamb=0: h's ability to model f matters. The worse it does on f, the better it does on y.
If f got everything right, that is, lamb=1: h's ability to model f matters. The better it does by f, the better it does on y.
If f got 50%, that is, lamb=0.5: h's ability to model f would not matter. For this, considering the two remaining quartiles:
If h modeled f 75% of the time, that's 75% of 50% and 25% of 50% = (.75*.5)+(.25*.5) = 0.5
If h modeled f 25% of the time, that's 25% of 50% and 75% of 50% = (.75*.5)+(.25*.5) = 0.5
General case: if h models f with probability (1-mu), then h models y with probability (1-mu)*0.5 + mu*0.5 = (1-mu+mu)*0.5 = 0.5.